Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Parents

I have been wanting to blog about my parents, and with Father's Day being tomorrow, I figured now would be a good time. I was planning to post a Mother's Day blog about my mama, but there were so many other (not good) things going on around that time that I never did it. So, this will be a combination for both of them.

I have the best parents ever. Period.


They have been so unbelievably supportive during this difficult time that I know I would have never made it through without them. For the past month and a half, I have not been a pleasant person to be around. Scratch that. I have been miserable to be around, and have made everyone around me miserable. But they never stopped supporting me, encouraging me, or even wanting to be around me. I don't know why they do these things, but my mama keeps saying that I'll understand one day when I have children.


When I first told them that I was having thoughts about breaking the engagement, they told me they would support me 110% in whatever I decided to do. If I wanted to call off the wedding, they would be behind me all the way. If I decided to go through with it, they would also be behind me all the way. What?? After all the money they had already spent on the wedding, they would be ok with, and even support me calling it off? And with the second thoughts I was having, they would be ok with, and even support me deciding to walk down the aisle? Part of me wanted them to just tell me what to do. But the other part of me is so thankful that they love me and trust my judgement enough to want me to make that huge decision on my own. All they wanted was for me to be happy.


They have held me when I've cried, given me advice when I've needed it, driven to Augusta just to be there with me during some of my darkest days, sat in the waiting room while I've talked to counselors when I just didn't think I could go alone, listened, comforted, prayed, loved. And dealt with the logistics of un-planning a wedding. I haven't heard a word from my daddy about the money he had already spent on the wedding, except to say that he would rather pay for all my bridesmaids dresses that they aren't going to wear than have me get married to someone and be unhappy. And my mama has made so many phone calls to "un-do" things that I've hardly had to do anything. She covered all the bases, and then some. And the crazy thing is, they haven't been upset with me about doing all of this. They were even glad to do it.


This has all been in the past month and a half. I could go on and on and on about everything else they've done, but it would take a book, or more. I can truly say that I can look at their love for me, their daughter, and compare it to God's love for me, His child. I'm lucky, some people aren't able to look at the way their parents have related to them and make that comparison. But then again, not everyone is lucky enough to have parents like mine :)


So, Happy Father's Day, Daddy, and Happy (Late) Mother's Day, Mama!


Love,

Mallory


No comments:

Post a Comment