Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It Happens

For those of you who are Sugarland fans, you've probably heard their latest single out on the radio, "It Happens." I have had one of those days where "it" certainly has happened. For those who haven't heard the song, here are some of the lyrics:

Missed my alarm clock ringing
Woke up, telephone screaming
Boss man singing that same old song

Rolled in late about an hour
No cup of coffee no shower
Walk of shame with two different shoes on

Now it's poor me why me oh me boring
The same old worn out blah blah story
There's no good explanation for it at all

Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning
Ain't no need to overthink it
Let go laughing
Life don't go quite like you planned it
We try so hard to understand it
Irrefutable indisputable fact is,
It happens

Here's how my day has gone: I was excited about getting to go into work late: I was going to sleep in, then have a relaxing morning before going to work. Woke up with a headache. Got up and took some Advil and went back to bed. Slept longer than I planned on. Walked into the bathroom to take a shower, and saw a roach on the ledge over my linen closet (we live in an old house where there are plenty of cracks and places for roaches to get in). Got the roach spray. Sprayed the roach. After it jumped off of the ledge (yes, it jumped), onto the floor, crawled back onto the wall and all the way around my bathroom, it jumped (again) into my bathtub. Luckily it landed on it's back and couldn't run away, so I sprayed it (a lot) with roach spray and smushed it with my shoe. On with my morning.

Got into the shower, turned the water on, started to wash my hair, and noticed some little black specks all over the side of the shower. Ants. Lots of little tiny ants. Apparently, they had come in through the small window over my shower. Decided I'd finish showering since I was already wet, then spray them. Apparently, if that crack in the window was big enough for ants to crawl through, it was also big enough for the spider (not a small one) to crawl through, which I saw when I turned around. I'm pretty sure I said an ugly word then. I decided to kill the spider.

I opened the shower door to grap my flip-flop. Leaned over with one hand onto my (cheap) laundry basket to steady myself while I reached to the floor to pick up the shoe. The top of the laundry basket collapsed. Arm went in, all the way to the bottom, while the corner of the basket poked me in the chest. Luckily, I caught myself with the other hand before hitting the floor face first, soaking wet, and in my birthday suit. Got the shoe, killed the spider, finished my shower, sprayed the ants, got out of the shower, and realized I was bleeding from where I cut myself shaving. Seriously?

So, I got ready in a hurry, rushed off to work, stopping by the store first to buy a box of Jello mix for a patient who didn't even show up.

Called the bug man on the way to work. He sprayed this afternoon.

It happens.

And in spite of all of this, it was a good day. Praise God. How was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment